Jordan Village Scenes

Title

Jordan Village Scenes

Collection Items

Erie Canal looking east from Beaver Street bridge
CAPTION: Erie Canal east of Beaver Street. Taken from bridge at Beaver Street. (Roy Brace?)

"Lafayette's Carriage" in front of the Spot Cash House, North Main Street
PHOTO CAPTION:
Gen. La Fayette rode in this coach, in Jordan in 1825.
---------
TRANSCRIPTION OF NEWSPAPER CLIPPING:
THE SYRACUSE SUNDAY POST-STANDARD
November 21, 1948
LAFAYETTE RODE THRU JORDAN IN THIS COACH IN 1825. Picture was snapped…

Sperry & Rockwell Wheelbarrow Factory, Elbridge Street (sketch by A. H. Arnold)
CAPTION: Sperry & Rockwell Wheelbarrow Mfgrs., Jordan, N.Y.

Jenner's Blacksmith Shop, South Main Street (sketch by A. H. Arnold)
CAPTION: C. Jenner, Horseshoer [sign], The Village Smithy, Jordan, N.Y.

Clinton Street looking west
NOTE: The facade and steeple of the Presbyterian Church are visible at far left. This building no longer exists. Immediately to the right of the church is the Horace Dodge house, where the first meeting of the newly formed Town of Elbridge took…

Clinton Street looking west, Warner Malt House
INSCRIPTION ON FRONT: View of old malt house.
------------------
INSCRIPTION ON REVERSE: stepping stones for horse drawn vehicles, unpaved roads, Clinton Terr - Clinton St + Chas. Warner's Malt house, K. Hudson

Baptist Church, Clinton Street
NOTE: In the background, Charles Warner's Malt House is visible at far left, and the trolley tracks and Erie canal towpath are visible at far right.

Union Hall / Masonic Hall (sketch by A. H. Arnold)
CAPTION: Union Hall, Jordan, N.Y.

Masonic Hall interior
INSCRIPTION ON REVERSE: Jordan Lodge Room, 1904 - 1924, when it was re-decorated; continued use of this room until fire destroyed adjoining Grang[e] Hall and seriously damaged back walls, Sept.; K. Hudson

Porter house, 48 North Main Street (circa 1900, built 1827)
NOTE: There is young boy, a dog, and a bicycle in front of the porch.

Trolley station, four corners looking east
NOTE: In the background, the Methodist Church steeple on Mechanic Street is visible at left.

Trolley station, four corners looking east
CAPTION: R. S. & E. Trolley Sta., Jordan, N.Y.

Trolley station, four corners looking east
INSCRIPTION ON FRONT: Jordan trolley station, Trolley Sta.

Trolley station, four corners looking east (sketch by A.H. Arnold)
CAPTION: R. & E. Trolley Station, Jordan, N.Y.

Four corners looking west, Old Home Day (1923)
INSCRIPTION: Old Home Day 1923, Fred L. Whiting, Grand Marshall

Village Hall,  Mechanic Street looking northeast (1920 flood)
INSCRIPTION ON FRONT: Town Hall & Engine House Jordan N. Y.

Village Hall and Fire House, Mechanic Street (circa 1914)
INSCRIPTION:
POSTMARKED: JORDAN N.Y. JUL 22 1914 4 PM
TO: Edward & Richard Langdon
103 Amherst Ave
Syracuse N.Y.
7/22 1914
Dear Edward and Rich-ard;
Grandpa has a baby calf born Thurs-day and is sold. I am have a very nice time. How are…

Village Hall and Fire House, Mechanic Street
INSCRIPTION ON FRONT: Village Hall, Jordan, N.Y.

Methodist Church, southeast corner of Mechanic Street and Chappell Street
This building no longer exists. In the mid-1980's, the Jordan United Methodist Church constructed a new church building on Elbridge Street, just up the hill from the previous building.

Methodist Church, southeast corner of Mechanic Street and Chappell Street
This building no longer exists. In the mid-1980's, the Jordan United Methodist Church constructed a new church building on Elbridge Street, just up the hill from the previous building.

Whiting house, 47 Mechanic Street (built 1889)
INSCRIPTION ON REVERSE: the J. W. Whiting residence, Mechanic St., W-8, 125%, 4 x 4-1/4, K. Hudson

Whiting house, 47 Mechanic Street (built 1889)
CAPTION: The J. W. Whiting residence, Jordan, NY.

St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church, Hamilton Street, interior
NOTE: The original St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church was on the site of the current St. Patrick's Cemetery, but is no longer standing. This church was later replaced by the St. Patrick's Church on North Main Street, which was built in 1952.

St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church, Hamilton Street, interior
NOTE: The original St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church was on the site of the current St. Patrick's Cemetery, but is no longer standing. This church was later replaced by the St. Patrick's Church on North Main Street, which was built in 1952.

Erie Canal looking northeast from near North Main Street
SIGN ON FRONT OF BUILDING:
Canal-Stable.
------------------
NOTE: The Otis farm is visible in the background of this photograph. Today, the former farmland is the school grounds of the Jordan-Elbridge Middle School. Other landmarks visible in…

Construction of North Main Street bridge over Erie Canal, looking west
NOTE:  The North Main Street bridge was a Whipple's Arch-Truss Bridge, designed by Squire Whipple of Utica, NY. The large, dark-colored structure in the background is the Warner Malt House, just south of the Hamilton Street bridge to its right.

Repairing the Erie Canal berm wall, looking southwest from under the North Main Street Bridge (1898)
SIGNS ON CENTER BUILDING:
Clothing, Furnishing, Goods, Etc.
Western Union Telegraph Office
Bakery
------------------
NOTE: Canal repairs were often done in the winter months when the canal was inactive and the water could be drained. The…

Erie Canal looking southwest from near Hamilton Street (1907)
NOTE: A long line of canal boats are tied up on the west edge of the village of Jordan, with mule bridges out. The large building at left is part of the Warner Malt House.

Taylor's Super Service, four corners looking northeast
INSCRIPTION:
Dear Neighbor—
Need a repair job done on your car — we have the mechanics and equipment to make all motor repairs from cleaning spark plugs to rebuilding motors. Prices are low — service prompt.
We are also headquarters for Blue…

J. D. Braue's Feed Storage, near railroad tracks at north edge of village
SIGN ON SIDE OF BUILDING:
Capacity 150,000 Bushels
J. D. Braue, Inc.
Jordan, N.Y.
Braue's Mixed Feed
Alfalfa Meal
Corn & Oat
Products

Erie Canal diggers using Jordan-made wheelbarrows, near Jordan
NOTE: Construction on the enlarged Erie Canal. The canal is being widened on west side of village of Jordan, using Jordan-made wheelbarrows.
View all 115 items

Website visitor comments about this item:

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>