Browse Items (212 total)

erie_canal_looking_northeast_01.jpg
SIGN ON FRONT OF BUILDING:
Canal-Stable.
------------------
NOTE: The Otis farm is visible in the background of this photograph. Today, the former farmland is the school grounds of the Jordan-Elbridge Middle School. Other landmarks visible in…

erie_canal_bridge_looking_west_10.jpg
NOTE:  The North Main Street bridge was a Whipple's Arch-Truss Bridge, designed by Squire Whipple of Utica, NY. The large, dark-colored structure in the background is the Warner Malt House, just south of the Hamilton Street bridge to its right.

erie_canal_looking_southwest_01.jpg
SIGNS ON CENTER BUILDING:
Clothing, Furnishing, Goods, Etc.
Western Union Telegraph Office
Bakery
------------------
NOTE: Canal repairs were often done in the winter months when the canal was inactive and the water could be drained. The…

erie_canal_looking_southwest_02.jpg
NOTE: A long line of canal boats are tied up on the west edge of the village of Jordan, with mule bridges out. The large building at left is part of the Warner Malt House.

Tags:

taylor_station_looking_southeast_01_detail.jpg
INSCRIPTION:
Dear Neighbor—
Need a repair job done on your car — we have the mechanics and equipment to make all motor repairs from cleaning spark plugs to rebuilding motors. Prices are low — service prompt.
We are also headquarters for Blue…

braue_feed_storage_01.jpg
SIGN ON SIDE OF BUILDING:
Capacity 150,000 Bushels
J. D. Braue, Inc.
Jordan, N.Y.
Braue's Mixed Feed
Alfalfa Meal
Corn & Oat
Products

boys_eating_watermelon.jpg
INSCRIPTION AROUND BORDER OF PHOTOGRAPH:
North west corner of wheelbarrow factory
[BACK ROW, LEFT TO RIGHT]
1 Orion Marsh, 2 Stanley Marks, 3 William Brooks, 1912
[FRONT ROW, LEFT TO RIGHT]
4 Wayne Pulsifer, 5 Joseph Baker, 6 Allen Marsh

nicholas_craner_01.jpg
NOTE: Nicholas Craner, a Jordan clothier who owned a shop on Clinton Street, had a total of 12 children, 2 with his first wife, and 10 with his second wife. The young boy in this photograph is presumably one of his sons.

craner_clothier_shop_looking_south_01.jpg
INSCRIPTION ON REVERSE:
H. N. Craner Clothier
(3rd from left)
Clinton St Jordan
------------------
STAMP ON REVERSE:
Geo. H. Dygert,
ARTIST,
JORDAN, - N. Y.
A Specialty made in Copying and Enlarging from old pictures, India Ink or in Water…

harry_craner_ln_somes.jpg
INSCRIPTION ON REVERSE: H. N. Craner, L. N. Somes, Nov. 24, 1898

valley_drive_dam_looking_east_02.jpg
INSCRIPTION BELOW PHOTO:
Original dam in Hollow Road — Flooded Jordan
It gave way & was never restored
------------------
NOTE: This photograph appears to be a different dam from the dam just south of the village of Jordan which caused the…

perfect_liquid_measure_company_01.jpg
SIGN ON ROOF OF BUILDING: The Perfect Liquid Measure Manfg Co. Office No __ Dutch St. New York. ------------------ NOTE: Visible in the center of this photograph is the bridge over the Skaneateles Creek, at the point where the creek crosses from the…

underground_railroad_mural_02.jpg
NOTE: This painted mural by an unknown artist was discovered on the wall of an upstairs room at this house on the sourthwest corner of Mechanic Street and Chappell Street. In 1860, the house was owned by George Washington Wright, an abolitionist…

underground_railroad_mural_01.jpg
NOTE: This painted mural by an unknown artist was discovered on the wall of an upstairs room at this house on the sourthwest corner of Mechanic Street and Chappell Street. In 1860, the house was owned by George Washington Wright, an abolitionist…

porter_house_02a.jpg
NOTE: There is young boy, a dog, and a bicycle in front of the porch.

village_hall_03.jpg
INSCRIPTION ON FRONT: Village Hall, Jordan, N.Y.

trolley_station_looking_east_03a.jpg
INSCRIPTION ON FRONT: Jordan trolley station, Trolley Sta.

trolley_station_looking_east_01.jpg
NOTE: In the background, the Methodist Church steeple on Mechanic Street is visible at left.

trolley_station_looking_east_02.jpg
CAPTION: R. S. & E. Trolley Sta., Jordan, N.Y.

catholic_church_02.jpg
NOTE: The original St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church was on the site of the current St. Patrick's Cemetery, but is no longer standing. This church was later replaced by the St. Patrick's Church on North Main Street, which was built in 1952.

catholic_church_01.jpg
NOTE: The original St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church was on the site of the current St. Patrick's Cemetery, but is no longer standing. This church was later replaced by the St. Patrick's Church on North Main Street, which was built in 1952.

riverside_house_02.jpg
CAPTION: Riverside Hotel, Jordan, N.Y.
------------------
This building is no longer standing.

riverside_house_01.jpg
INSCRIPTION ON FRONT: Good fishing, boats, tack, & bait. Bell phone. Riverside House, Clinton M. Quimby, Prop [proprietor], Cross Lake. Jordan, N.Y. 1912
------------------
This building is no longer standing.

aharnold_trolley_station_looking_east.jpg
CAPTION: R. & E. Trolley Station, Jordan, N.Y.

aharnold_masonic_hall_looking_northeast.jpg
CAPTION: Union Hall, Jordan, N.Y.

store_interior_01.jpg
INSCRIPTION ON FRONT: [???] view shoe dept. stair way, offices, CMC
INSCRIPTION ON REVERSE: 1964; This is a large store and has continued in [???] times of supper markets & Big M. Ellis says he can find nothing in these stores. He needs a clerk.…

richard_dineen_01.jpg
INSCRIPTION ON REVERSE: Richard Deneen at shanty for gates for New York Central R.R. at Main St.

telephone_operators_01.jpg
INSCRIPTION ON REVERSE: Mrs. Marshall, Miss Lula Fuller, Leon Healy or Bob Crofut, Marie McPeak, Bell Pinkny McKaig

group_photo_05.jpg
INSCRIPTION ON REVERSE: Jared Wilson Whiting against blind; Frances Watkins Whiting, 1st lady on left seated; icl [included?] in notebook carried to Festival

group_photo_04.jpg
INSCRIPTION ON REVERSE: Jim Hall, Joe Hall, Uncle Will Hall, Florence, Cora Hall Sister of Jim & Joe, at Hall home, corner Water & Beaver Sts. (SW corner), (home was torn down later)

horses_01.jpg
INSCRIPTION ON REVERSE: in front of Dr. Strobeck's, Mechanic St., Jordan, Roy? Ten Eyck??? Stock No Halstead; unknown;

group_photo_03.jpg
INSCRIPTION ON REVERSE: Mr. & Mrs. Fred Allen, Frederick & Marian Whiting, Bess & Nell (the horses)

group_photo_02.jpg
INSCRIPTION ON REVERSE: Jordan Study Club picnic at Spring Lake; [BACK ROW:] Mrs. Harry Converse, Mrs. Del Jones, Mrs. Glen Blanchard, Mrs. Jim Howland, Mrs. Chas. Strickland, Mrs. James Hudson; [MIDDLE ROW:] Mrs. Humprey Hendricks, Mrs. Cora…

state_ditch_02.jpg
INSCRIPTION ON REVERSE: landing craft in State Ditch during WWII; K. Hudson

grimes_road_looking_northwest_01.jpg
NOTE: St. Vincent's Summer Home (Bishop Foery Day Camp) is visible in the background at far right.

valley_drive_unknown_location_02.jpg
INSCRIPTION ON FRONT: Hollow Road. Thanks for the Xmas remembrance and a Happy New Year to all. M.L. P. Jordan

valley_drive_dam_looking_southwest_01.jpg
INSCRIPTION ON REVERSE: Dam near Valley Drive formerly known as Hollow Rd. K. Hudson, Burke
------------------
The color aerial view photo shows the approximate location of this former dam over the Skaneateles Creek.

valley_drive_dam_looking_east_01.jpg
INSCRIPTION ON REVERSE: Old village barn on the "Hollow Rd" (Valley Rd). Previously had been bedstead + coffin manufacturing. K. Hudson
------------------
The color aerial view photo shows the approximate location of this former dam over the…

valley_drive_unknown_location_01.jpg
INSCRIPTION ON REVERSE: Gypsii camp, Hollow Rd, Jordan, Valley Dr (Hollow Rd), K. Hudson

whiting_house_02.jpg
CAPTION: The J. W. Whiting residence, Jordan, NY.

whiting_house_01.jpg
INSCRIPTION ON REVERSE: the J. W. Whiting residence, Mechanic St., W-8, 125%, 4 x 4-1/4, K. Hudson

village_hall_2_left.jpg
INSCRIPTION ON FRONT: Town Hall & Engine House Jordan N. Y.

four_corners_looking_west_01.jpg
INSCRIPTION: Old Home Day 1923, Fred L. Whiting, Grand Marshall

masonic_hall_3.jpg
INSCRIPTION ON REVERSE: Jordan Lodge Room, 1904 - 1924, when it was re-decorated; continued use of this room until fire destroyed adjoining Grang[e] Hall and seriously damaged back walls, Sept.; K. Hudson

clinton_street_looking_west_01.jpg
INSCRIPTION ON FRONT: View of old malt house.
------------------
INSCRIPTION ON REVERSE: stepping stones for horse drawn vehicles, unpaved roads, Clinton Terr - Clinton St + Chas. Warner's Malt house, K. Hudson

erie_canal_looking_east_from_beaver_street.jpg
CAPTION: Erie Canal east of Beaver Street. Taken from bridge at Beaver Street. (Roy Brace?)

erie_canal_jordan_wheelbarrows.jpg
NOTE: Construction on the enlarged Erie Canal. The canal is being widened on west side of village of Jordan, using Jordan-made wheelbarrows.

Tags:

thruway_bridge_construction.jpg
CAPTION: Vintage 1954 I-90 Construction Concrete Bridge near Jordan, NY.

seneca_river_6.jpg
CAPTION: Vtg 1950's John E. Matton Erie Canal I-90 Construction Barge Jordan, NY

lock_51_looking_northwest_1.jpg
SIGN ON SIDE OF BUILDING:
Lock No 51
------------------
NOTE: The original locktender's house shown in this photograph was later moved into the village of Jordan, on North Chappell Street near the school, and is said to be the only original Erie…

jordan_aerial_view__looking_north_2.jpg
INSCRIPTION ON FRONT:
Nov. 7, '06.
Cousin Harry.
To-morrow Mabel and I expect to be at Aunt Annie's and stay until Friday. We would like you to spend next Sunday with us, and Mabel will return with you. Cynthia.
Come to Elbridge and then by the…

methodist_church_2.jpg
This building no longer exists. In the mid-1980's, the Jordan United Methodist Church constructed a new church building on Elbridge Street, just up the hill from the previous building.

baptist_church_1.jpg
NOTE: In the background, Charles Warner's Malt House is visible at far left, and the trolley tracks and Erie canal towpath are visible at far right.

clinton_street_looking_west_2.jpg
NOTE: The facade and steeple of the Presbyterian Church are visible at far left. This building no longer exists. Immediately to the right of the church is the Horace Dodge house, where the first meeting of the newly formed Town of Elbridge took…

methodist_church_1.jpg
This building no longer exists. In the mid-1980's, the Jordan United Methodist Church constructed a new church building on Elbridge Street, just up the hill from the previous building.

village_hall_1.jpg
INSCRIPTION:
POSTMARKED: JORDAN N.Y. JUL 22 1914 4 PM
TO: Edward & Richard Langdon
103 Amherst Ave
Syracuse N.Y.
7/22 1914
Dear Edward and Rich-ard;
Grandpa has a baby calf born Thurs-day and is sold. I am have a very nice time. How are…

lafayette_carriage.jpg
PHOTO CAPTION:
Gen. La Fayette rode in this coach, in Jordan in 1825.
---------
TRANSCRIPTION OF NEWSPAPER CLIPPING:
THE SYRACUSE SUNDAY POST-STANDARD
November 21, 1948
LAFAYETTE RODE THRU JORDAN IN THIS COACH IN 1825. Picture was snapped…

beauchamp_1908.pdf
PAST AND PRESENT
OF
Syracuse and Onondaga County
NEW YORK
From Prehistoric Times to the Beginning of 1908
By The REV. WILLIAM M. BEAUCHAMP, S. T. D.
Author of the Archeological Bulletins of the New York State Museum, Etc., President
of the…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2